About Mahila Rakshak
Mahila Rakshak initiative was launched in Ananthapuramu district with the vision of providing a safe and secure environment for women and to reduce incidences of woman harassment in the society. As part of the initiative special Mahila Rakshak teams were formed in each subdivision with primary responsibility of dealing with issues pertaining to crime against women. These teams are tasked with foremost, prevention of crime against woman and to simultaneously unearth unreported instances of woman harassment taking place regularly in the society and going unreported out of fear or humiliation by the victims..
Mahila Rakshak Teams are engaged in round the clock surveillance at important and vulnerable areas where offenders try to take advantage of unsuspecting victims. These dedicated teams are a boon to the women who can get timely police help and go about their routine without fear..
Since women should be able to move in the society with confidence, dignity and self respect, these teams seek to instil confidence in women to stand up and speak out against offenders so that their own safety and safety of other women is not compromised upon.
Objectives of Mahila Rakshak
- Build an environment where women should be able to go out in public places with confidence, dignity and self respect.
- To instil confidence in women to stand up and speak out against offenders so that their own safety and safety of other women is not compromised upon.
- To reduce incidences of woman harassment in day to day life and to reduce crime against women.
- To intervene at an early stage and reform an offender so that serious offences by the subject offender in future can be curbed.
- To correct misguided youth and make them aware of the consequences of teasing women, thereby reforming them to become better citizens.
Vision of Mahila Rakshak
Vision of the Mahila Rakshak initiative is to realise a safe and secure environment for women and to reduce incidences of woman harassment in the society. Thereby, improving woman confidence to step out in public places and various work environments without any fear of being harassed, objectified and exploited by their male counterparts. Thus, facilitating an environment where women are more aware and feel empowered to realise thier dreams without any fear and stigma.
Functions of Mahila Rakshak
- Mahila Rakshak teams regularly move in and around vulnerable places at odd hours and peak hours in civvies in order to apprehend offenders.
- Conducting regular Anti-eve teasing campaigns in schools, colleges and other areas of social gathering.
- Conducting awareness campaigns with women groups as awareness gives women the confidence to speak out against offenders and lodge complaints.
- They further brief the young girls about “good touch ”, “bad touch” as young girls because of their gullibility are prone to be sexually harassed.
- Conducting legal literacy campaigns on POCSO act, dowry harassment in coordination with district woman cell and other stakeholders.
- Apprehending young errant youth indulging in eve teasing and counseling them thereafter by calling their guardians/parents and booking relevant criminal cases where required.